Thursday, April 3, 2008

The power of passion

I was in a forum on a web site for piano players when one of the participants asked how other people felt about being called "gifted." The person took some offense at the description, thinking it failed to acknowledge the amount of practice it takes to play the piano well.

The discussion brought to mind my early years taking piano lessons. I was a student of what was then called the "lab method." There were six students in rows of two. The teacher was at the front of the class. She had her own piano and could listen to any of us with headphones at any time.

The first couple of years, I was easily the best student in my class. I enjoyed being the "star student." About the third year, the teacher decided to put all her best students in one class. I went from being the best to the middle of the pack.

The teacher thought that the class would cause us each to push each other to become better. It had the opposite effect on me.

All this got me thinking about passion. In our network marketing business, having a burning desire is one of the keys to success.

One of the things I learned from the training I've received in this system is the importance of coming to grips with the reason we're in business. We can have to determine our driving force.

If that force is only driving you at 50 percent power, then you'll be stuck if you come against an obstacle that 51 percent or stronger.

That's why you have to search deep within yourself to decide why you want to succeed. Figure out why you're in this business.

About a year after joining the class of top piano students, I quit. The teacher told me that one day I'd regret it. Of course she was right, but I didn't listen.

I had some talent, but I didn't have the desire to be the best of the best. At least not at the time. It's a lesson I'm still learning.

Steve DeVane
This free e-book helped me understand why I'm a network marketer.

No comments: