Thursday, April 10, 2008

Overcoming fears on the path to success

Earlier tonight, I was reading Steve Pavlina's personal development blog about switching to a 100 percent raw diet. I admire his commitment and the general reasoning behind his move. Two sentences in a section on dealing with social issues struck me.

"Every time you stretch beyond the social conditioning, risking the rejection of your peers, you simultaneously serve as a powerful example to them," he said. "You help other people awaken to the knowledge that they can exceed their current performance levels."

This not only applies to changing your diet, it fits perfectly into how we promote our network marketing business. Let's be honest, MLM doesn't have the best of reputations.

Some folks have the wrong idea that it's some kind of illegal pyramid scheme. Other people have been burned by MLMers who pressured them to buy unneeded products or resources. Some distributors have wrongly thought that the way to make their company look good was to make other network marketing companies look bad.

I believe we can turn that around. By presenting a positive perspective and telling the truth about our companies and our products, we'll peel back the layers of disinformation and dishonesty.

I know that I have often been needlessly concerned about what people would think about me being a network marketer. To paraphrase Pavlina, by stretching beyond my social conditioning and risking the rejection of my peers, I serve as a powerful example to them.

Moreover, with that risk comes reward — self-confidence. Since, I've been involved with this mentoring system I've grown as a network marketer and as a person.

This reminded me of a quote one of my coaches once told me. The quote has been wrongly attributed to Nelson Mandela, but it's actually from a book called A Return to Love, by Marianne Williamson.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

Overcome your fears and help liberate others.

Steve DeVane
This free e-book helped me overcome my fears.

2 comments:

Gary McElwain said...

Hi Steve

You have written a very powerful blog post here. Even though I have heard the last paragraph before.

It still holds a lot of power that
people can use for their good.

Gary

Steve DeVane said...

Gary,
Thanks for the kind words. Overcoming fear and taking action are important elements to our success.
Best wishes.
Steve