Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Feel better - Shaving the years away

Recently, I did something I haven’t done it years – I shaved my entire face. Since then, nearly everyone who sees the “new” me, asks me why.

I can explain in one quick sentence: I was tired of looking old. You the hair on the top of my head remains mostly black. My moustache and beard, however, were gray. I once had a friend who hadn’t seen me in a while ask me if I was coloring my hair. I joked that I tried it, but the wax from the crayons was making a mess.

I wasn’t coloring my hair, but I could see how she thought that because my moustache was so gray. I resisted the temptation to explain to her that if I was going to color my hair, I’d have the good sense to color my moustache, too.

At any rate, I really haven’t minded looking a little older than I was. But now that I’m getting a little older (closer to 50 than to 40 now), I decided it was time to look more my age.

There’s an added benefit. As someone in the wellness profession, I think I look better. I’ve lost about 25 pounds in the past year, too. I believe that a leaner, clean-shaven me looks better.

And since, I look better, I naturally feel better. Since I feel better, I think I’m a better me.

I had forgotten what a pain it was to shave every morning, but it’s a small price to pay for feeling and looking better.

Steve DeVane

2 comments:

Gary McElwain said...

Great decision Steve

Some people spend years working out daily to look young. Some go through surgical procedures, costing big bucks.

And you figured it our with a $3 razor blade. Now thats thinking inside the mirror.

Gary McElwain

SteveDeVane said...

Gary,

Yep. And I even got four razors for my $3. Not too shabby.

Of course, a few Appetizer Diet Cookies along the way helped, too.

Thanks for the comment.

Steve