Saturday, November 29, 2008

Business boost — build relationships

Earlier today I was putting our riding lawn mower in the shed. My son had mowed the front yard for probably the last time this year.

The boards that we usually use to help the mower ride up into the shed were missing, but I thought I could just drive the mower over the ridge between the ground the concrete floor of the shed.

I was wrong.

The mower got part of the way in the shed and stopped. I put it in the reverse and tried to back out. It wouldn’t move that way either.

Tried it again in forward. Nothing.

Reverse. Nothing.

I tried it both ways a couple of more times, before finally becoming convinced that it was stuck.

So, I turned the mower off, got down and manually pushed the mower the rest of the way into the shed.

It occurred to me that sometimes that’s the way it is with our businesses and our lives. We have all these high-tech ways to get leads and to contact people, but ultimately you have to make a personal connection.

People join people they know, like and trust. That takes building relationships.

Next time your business needs a boost, be sure you’re making personal connections with other people.

Steve DeVane

4 comments:

Jim DeSantis said...

Hey Steve.

Excellent example of how many businesses miss the interactive touch.

In today's Internet marketplace, with sites like YouTube, Craigslist, Facebook and Myspace, there are ample opportunities to connect. Just having a blog here on Blogger is yet another.

If a business owner is reading this post...pay attention!

Jim DeSantis
http://www.answersplus.info

SteveDeVane said...

Jim,

You're correct. Interaction is a key part of today's marketplace. Building relationships will help move any business forward.

Thanks for the comment.

Steve

Gary McElwain said...

Steve

I think that is great how you can relate a stuck tractor, to a stuck business. That is the kind of innovation that people leave out of doing business.

Alot of people think if thier new software does'nt deliver a million hits to thier site. Tier stuck and thier done, there is no innovation to get over that hump.

Great observation.

Gary McElwain

SteveDeVane said...

Gary,

You're correct. Many people unfortunately try to get unstuck by doing more of what got them stuck in the first place. It did take me several tries before I figured out that sitting on the seat and rocking back and forth wasn't going to make the lawn mower move. Sometimes you just got try something different.

I appreciate the comment.

Steve