Monday, June 9, 2008

Where there's a wheel, there's a way

Every once in a while it's good to sit back and take a good, long look at life. Here's a simple, easy way to think about where you are. It's called the wheel of life.

First, draw a circle. Make it plenty big enough to write in.

Now divide the circle into eight pieces. You do that by drawing a line straight up and down, then one side by side. That makes four pieces. Then draw two more lines diagonally each way to divide the four into eight.

Now write these in the eight sections:

Career

Family and friends

Significant other/ romance

Fun and recreation

Health

Money

Personal growth

Physical environment

Now, take several minutes and think about how your life is going in each area. After you've given it some thought, rate it on a scale of 1-10.

Then think of the center of the circle as zero and the outside of the circle as 10. Draw a line in each area where you rated.

Now take a look at the circle. That's your wheel of life.

Notice if it's uneven or pretty round.

See which areas you make you feel good and which areas need some work. Perhaps you need some coaching to help your wheel ride a little smoother.

Steve DeVane
This free mentoring system helped me in several areas of my life.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great way to walk me through things. I gained some new views on life.

Thanks,
Ashley Bolivar

Steve DeVane said...

Ashley,
Thanks for the good words. The wheel of life always helps me get a handle on where things stand in my life.
I appreciate the feedback.
Best wishes.
Steve

Anonymous said...

Steve, what a great exercise. I did it and found myself very happy and lucky to have great relationships. I was also pleased to see how I've progressed personally and in my career. It's good to take a balanced approach and to evaluate each of the important areas in your life, every so often. That's the only way to appreciate the good and work on those parts that need a little extra attention. Thanks for sharing the wheel!

Steve DeVane said...

Deirdre,
I'm glad you liked the wheel. Isn't it a great way to get a wide-angle view of life?
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Steve